Options and Programs to Help Customers Experiencing Financial Hardship
With a global spike in natural gas prices effecting our fuel costs and inflation causing increases in so many day-to-day products and services, we know many of our customers are in a position of financial strain. GRU provides several payment options and home-efficiency programs, but we've also partnered with community organizations, nonprofits, and government-funded programs to assist our customers when they need it the most.
To save time and provide you with more flexibility to pay your bill, GRU now offers Automatic Extensions year-round. Residential customers automatically get our normal seven-day grace period, plus an additional seven-day extension. No need to call Customer Service. Standard late fees will still apply.
Note: Accounts that are not in good standing by the end of the seven-day extension (14 days after its original due date) may be subject to service interruption until any and all past-due amounts are paid. The automatic extension does not apply to non-residential, EFT paid or installment plan accounts.
Personal Hardship Extensions
This program is available for customers needing a longer-term extension due to health concerns or other personal problems. Customers can receive extensions under this program for up to 90 days. For more information, contact Customer Service.
Extend-A-Hand Installment Payments
Installment plans are available for customers who are unable to pay their bill in full. Available options will depend on the customer's individual situation. For more information, contact Customer Service.
This program provides assistance to customers having difficulty paying their utility bill. For more information, visit our Project SHARE page.
Social Service Agencies
Several community organizations offer bill payment assistance. For more information, visit our community resources page.
Home Improvement Assistance
GRU's Low-income Energy Efficiency Program (LEEP) provides free energy-efficiency upgrades to qualifying low-income customers. For more information, visit our LEEP page.
Alachua County Resource List:
GRU has worked with the following organizations to provide relief during these challenging times. These organizations are not funded by GRU.
- Alachua County Habitat for Humanity: Home Repair/Weatherization (352) 378-4663
- Central Florida Community Action Agency: Weatherization/Emergency Assistance (352) 373-9805
- City of Gainesville Housing: Home Rehab/Roof (352)334-5026
- Neighborhood Housing and Development Corp.: Emergency Home Repair/Code Repairs (352) 380-9119
- Rebuilding Together NCF: Home Repair/Energy Efficiency (352) 692-4973
- Alachua Social Services: Rent/Electric (352) 264-6750
- Catholic Charities: Utility Assistance (352) 372-0264
- Elder Care (60+): Crisis Electric (352) 265-9040
- GRU Energy & Water Surveys: On-site conservation report (352) 393-1460
- GRU Customer Service: (352) 334-3434
- Gainesville Community Ministries: Crisis Electric (352) 372-8162