Free wood chips from GRU can solve your driveway or parking space coverage problems
Quality of Woodchips
Our free woodchips consist of green wood, pine needles and leaves (primarily).
These chips are best suited for ground cover away from the house, unpaved
driveways, mulch piles, pathways, or parking areas. They are not landscaping
quality. They are a by-product of the routine trimming done by GRU's Vegetation
Management Department to reduce the number of tree-related electrical outages —
so the exact ratio of wood to leaves varies with the season and the materials
Woodchips Waiting List
We deliver chips where our crews are working. Once we receive your completed
Woodchip Recycling Application,
you will be placed on our waiting list. The delivery time varies according
to the amount of chips being produced and the number of requests we receive.
We have no way of knowing exactly when your chips will be delivered.
- A typical load of chips is 8 to 10 cubic yards, or enough to cover
an area of 1,080 square feet (30 ft. x 36 ft.) 3 inches deep
- Delivery truck needs 20 feet of overhead clearance and 10 feet minimum
width to dump. The truck weighs 15 tons (30,000 pounds)
- One load forms a pile of chips about 12' wide by 6' high
- Delivery location must be clear for chips to be delivered. We will
not call before attempting to deliver the chips. If we are unable to
deliver, it may take weeks to reschedule another delivery attempt
- A large, heavy truck will be used to deliver the chips. Bear this
in mind when planning the delivery and drawing the delivery location
map. We make every attempt to deliver your chips as requested, but will
not take a chance of damaging your property or ours
- The chips are delivered in a large pile. We cannot spread the chips
or split a single load into two or more piles. Nor can we deliver a
load smaller than 8 - 10 cubic yards
Contact Us for more information.