Log In to GRU

  • Pay My Bill
  • View Billing History
  • Log In/Sign Up eBill Paper Billing
  • Update Email, Mailing Address & Phone Number
  • Start, Stop, Move Service
Log In

Frequently Asked Questions

Home » Need Help » Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs About Billing, Fees and Other Topics

Q: How are my wastewater charges determined?

A: For most residential customers, wastewater is not a metered service. Instead, wastewater charges are based on metered water use for the month being billed. For those who must use significant amounts of water for outdoor purposes throughout the year, we offer a special "irrigation meter" account. Learn more about wastewater charges

Q: What is the fuel adjustment part of my bill?

A: The fuel adjustment is used to recover fuel costs. GRU makes no profit on fuel, and the fuel portion is exempt from utility tax. We try to limit changes to the fuel adjustment to once per year in order to reduce the amount of fluctuation on your bill; however, these costs vary each month and season.

Q: What is the utility tax and surcharge?

A: For customers living inside Gainesville City limits:

  • Electric: 10-percent City utility tax
  • Gas: 10-percent City utility tax
  • Water: 10-percent City utility tax
  • Wastewater: No City utility tax

For customers living outside Gainesville City limits:

  • Electric: 10-percent County utility tax plus 10-percent surcharge
  • Gas: 10-percent County utility tax plus 10-percent surcharge
  • Water: 10-percent County utility tax plus 25-percent surcharge
  • Wastewater: 25-percent surcharge (no County utility tax)
City taxes and surcharges go to the City of Gainesville's General Fund, which supports:
  • Police
  • Fire
  • Recreation and parks
  • Streets
  • Other City services

Q: What is the stormwater fee?

A: GRU is the billing agent for stormwater fees. Revenues are passed directly to the City and used to improve the City's storm drainage system. Benefits include:

  • Less flooding
  • Reduced erosion
  • Improved mosquito control
  • Less pollution of groundwater
  • Generally higher property values

For more information on the storm water program, please call the City of Gainesville Public Works Department at 352-334-5070 or visit the City's Stormwater Management Web page.

Q: When is my bill due?

A: Utility bills are due on the date shown on the customer's monthly GRU bill.

  • A late fee will be assessed on any unpaid balance not paid in full by the close of business on the 21st day after being rendered.
  • Any bill not paid in full by the close of business on the 35th day after being rendered shall be considered delinquent and eligible for service disconnection.

Q: Where can I pay my bill?

A: Customers have several options for paying their bills, including online, in person, by phone and by mail. In-person payments can be made at the GRU Administration Building in downtown Gainesville or at one of more than 25 Neighborhood Stop 'N Pay locations throughout Alachua County. Visit our Payment Options page for more information.

Q: Where is the GRU Administration Building located?

A: The GRU Administration Building is located at 301 SE 4th Avenue in Gainesville. Map

Q: What are your hours of operation?


    M, T, Th, F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. W: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. M, T, Th, F: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. W: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. M - F: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.

GRU is closed for City holidays.

Q: What are my refuse (garbage) fees?

A: GRU collects refuse fees for the City of Gainesville. Single-family residential customers located in the City limits are assessed a monthly fee for garbage pick-up, recycling and yard trash pick-up. Multi-family residential customers using the City's pick-up service rather than a commercial service are also assessed a monthly refuse fee. Customers are now charged by the size of the cart used. For more information, visit the City of Gainesville's Solid Waste Management website.

Q: What is the customer charge?

A: The customer charge is assessed each month, or partial month, in which service is active, regardless of whether the service is used. This charge includes the cost of:

  • Meter reading
  • Managing customer accounts
  • Maintaining facilities
  • System readiness

Q: Whom do I call to have the utility lines in my yard marked before I dig?

A: Call 811. Digging in unmarked ground is very dangerous, so please call 811 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to have utility lines marked free of charge. Electric, gas, water, wastewater, cable television and telephone lines buried on your property will be marked within two business days, not including the day you call. So dig safely, and call 811.